6.01.2009

My Patio Veggie Garden

Photobucket

One of the things my fella and I have been looking forward to the most this spring was starting our own vegetable garden. With such a small patio space, we knew it would be a challenge. The original plan was to use pots for the various tomatoes, peppers and herbs. But when I came across the idea of a tiered vegetable planter, we knew it was the perfect solution for us. Not only is it a great space-saving idea, but it allows us to keep most all the vegetables together!

Photobucket

Kevin spent a Saturday afternoon using his engineering skills to build this amazing planter. Didn't he do a fantastic job? The largest planter on the bottom holds tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, chives and garlic; the middle, more shallow planter holds various salad greens such as arugula, butter lettuce, mesclun and spinach; and the one at the top holds early peas and lima beans, which are intended to climb the trellis that Kevin installed.

Photobucket

Starting with a wood case (the one on the bottom) that was originally used to hold a pipe, he build off of it to create the two smaller planters. Standard shelf brackets sold at Lowe's were used to support the boxes - several at each level to hold the significant weight of the soil. I'm sorry I can't offer more exact instructions, but I'm not much of a carpenter! Maybe I can convince Kevin to write up some plans for me to share with all of you.

Photobucket

Photobucket
That's honeysuckle in the corner by the cedar trellis...

As for the vegetables? Well, they are definitely growing! It's all still a learning experience, but we are diligent about looking after them every day and super-excited about what is developing. Hopefully we will be harvesting our own salads and spicy peppers this summer!

Photobucket

Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the planter... we've added some colorful pots and playful accessories. The back pot holds a climbing hydrangea which we hope will make its way up the lattice wall. The white pot contains delicious mint plants which we use for iced teas, chimichurri sauce, and, of course, mojitos! And the friendly dolphin is a vintage find from many years ago. He once lived on a playground but now he happily resides on our little patio.

It really is amazing what you can do with even the smallest outdoor space. So don't let a sad little concrete slab like ours (or a fire escape, or a miniature deck) stop you from developing a green thumb. It's such a wonderful summertime pleasure!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great! I can't wait to shop in my garden this summer.

Jill GG said...

I just love the planter box! So ingenious! Have fun gardening in it!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

What a great use of your space! I have even less, so no herbs or tomatoes for moi. And your little dolphin friend is adorable.

MFAMB said...

hi! found your blog through a search for my own blog. its great! im always looking for new blogs to add to my blogroll!
also i wanted to mention something i noticed about your plantings...i am wondering if the height of your tomatoes and other front row plants will grow too tall and shade the rest of you little lettuces behind them? just a thought. maybe you could transplant the tall ones in the back so they don't block the littler ones?
xoj

bananas. said...

it looks FABULOUS! i hope to have a fruit & vege garden but first i must learn how to garden.

steven mcvay said...

that dolphin is just the best thing i have seen all day...

ill possibly dream about it all night now...and thats not a bad thing in my book...

OmnisLucis said...

your planter is totally unique and great looking. congrats on discovering that dolphin, i love vintage toys in decor :)

Amanda said...

You guys did such an INCREDIBLE job! It looks great! We planted some veggies too (not housed nearly as snazzy as yours though) and cannot wait until we get to feast on them!

lucyatfourwallsandaroof said...

Nice job! I like the terraced look. You can enjoy a salad and mojito straight from your garden this summer - how great is that?

LindsB said...

Wow, that planter is awesome! I want one now!!! Too bad I dont have the space, but I just saved this image to my inspiration files for the future because it is just great!

Jamieofalltrades said...

So jealous, i want a a garden... but I need a patio first!