4.21.2009

The New Chandelier

Photobucket

Like I mentioned yesterday, we finally hung the chandelier that I refurbished last month! I originally found it on Craigslist for $40 - it was brass and had white candle covers with fake dripping wax. Egads. But a coat of matte white spray paint brightened it up, and I created candle covers using decorative paper by Snow & Graham.

Making the candle covers was so easy! Simply purchase replacement cover tubes from a place like this (they cost around $1 each), cut your paper to size, brush adhesive onto the tube, and then place the paper carefully around the tube and smooth down. Easy as that! I think I might make a second set for my chandelier, so I can change things up from time to time.

Photobucket

The chandelier is currently residing in our third floor hallway, next to the entrance to the deck. I like that it's in a slightly unexpected place, instead of over a table or counter. Once the rest of the space is fixed up (I'm repainting the walls and adding some new pictures), I'll share some more...

13 comments:

Debutante said...

This is a fabulous idea, I just purchased a beautiful chandelier but they have those fake dripping wax sleeves too. So ugly, so I will be redecorating!

LindsB said...

This looks beautiful, I love the paper you used on the covers!

J. Cochran said...

Nice job!

Amy said...

That looks great - I have to redo my chandelier soon to look fabulous like that!!!

Carrie said...

Great job! Love how it looks!

bopbopdesigns said...

looks great!

kay* said...

sooooooo chic

Jackie said...

It looks wonderful!

spearmint baby said...

gorgeous!! I would love to feature you on my blog spearmintbaby.com as a "feature DIY before and after"

if you are interested in this, could you let me know at spearmintbaby@gmail.com

Shari Lott
spearmintbaby.com
spearmintbaby@gmail.com

jess@thehomebound said...

Fantastic! It looks so good.

Embellished Bayou said...

Beautiful job! It's amazing what a little spray paint can do! I did one very similar in pink, it was also featured on Spearmint Baby.

Anne said...

Hey Elizabeth! I want to do something like this with the chandelier in our dining room. Anything I should watch out for in terms of the kind of paper to use? The one you used was wrapping paper, right?

Ilene said...

It's really fantastic chandelier!! I have similar kind of chandelier at my home!!